irrepressible.info

Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Rotton bananas?

So after waiting in the waiting room for over 30 mins(which was nicely equipped with some 'puters and the internets), I finally got called back. I get my little blue socks (woot! free socks!), and change into the gown.
Then the fun begins! As they're asking me questions ('Do you have diabetes? Do you have any dentures or a partials? Do you have any autoimmune diseases (to which I answered 'Not that I know of yet!')?'), they're poking me with the IV needle. My veins are uncooperative (I haven't had water for 2.5 - 3 hours at that point - duh!), and after some fishing around, they finally get one in my hand. Then the freakin cold sticky pads to monitor my vitals (why they have to be so cold???).
I wait for a few, crackin jokes with my hubby, when they come to get me. Say bye to hubby, then I get wheeled in the bed to the procedure room - talk about motion sickness! Ugh!
Once in the procedure room they hook me up to the machines and I wait a little longer (it's after 4 by now - my appt was at 2:30...). The doc comes in and gives me the rundown of what's gonna happen (I'd done my reading so I knew - no surprises for this girl!).
So the anesthetist (sp?) gives me some pink stuff to swallow, then adds the anesthesia to the IV (weeee!). Just before I'm out they spray the junk in my mouth to stop the gag reflex. The doc said it tastes a bit like rotten bananas. I didn't really get that flavor - more like dirty sweat socks dipped in cough syrup... something close to that. Anyway, I remember saying how gross it was, then I woke up in the "recovery room". Sweet! Love that...
A nurse comes in and asks what I'd like to drink - they've got ginger ale, I'll take it!
So I got pictures of my intestines if anyone wants to see! LOL
The doc was pretty sure I have Celiac - I'll get the results when I see my gastroenterologist next week.
Hubby took me to dinner (wasn't allowed to cook - even microwave!), so we went to Whole Foods. He loves the pizza, I got a "Chicken Fun" bowl (rice noodles, fo shizzle). After eating, we got some of my fave stuff from Whole Foods Gluten Free bakery, then went to the bookstore. I was a little light on my feet, but I was ok. But by the time we got home, I was straight to bed. Actually, I slept a good portion of the way home (granted, it's a 45 minute drive). So that's why I'm up now. I was hungry and have had a monster headache since before the EGD...

So I guess I'll take some Tylenol and get back to bed. I have to work tomorrow!

2 comments:

Patty said...

I had to laugh about the wheeling you around on the gurney and getting sick from that..isn't that the most awful thing. lol

So couple of days and they'll know what's what?

We have to swap inerds photos! I have color pics of the inside of my stomach and gall bladder (with other organs around it). We should make up a Weaver Family Organ Site.

I love you Hil..sorry you had to go through that but thank God for meds. We'll have to plan a special menu for you guys when you come. We have a great health food store here!

Gotta get to work. TTFN ILU -p

G33k Lady said...

A Weaver Family Organ Site would be disgusting! We could have a niche there though....
No need for special menus - as long as I can leave out the gluten, I'm fine (so no pizza lol) - burgers, etc. are fine!
Can't wait to see you guys!